Monday, July 17, 2017

Review: The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

Title: The Breakdown
Author: B.A. Paris
Published: July 2017, St. Martin's Press
Format: ARC Paperback, 336 pages
Source: Publisher

If you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?

Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside―the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she’d stopped.

But since then, she’s been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn’t have a baby.

The only thing she can’t forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt.

Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her…

My thoughts: Last year, one of my most favorite and anticipated reads was B.A. Paris's debut novel, Behind Closed Doors. So of course I was ecstatic when I got an early copy of her second book, The Breakdown, and even had the opportunity to meet her in person during BookExpo this year at a luncheon for bloggers. 

This is another psychological thriller that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. It just gets under your skin. But, I think it really is one of those books where the less you know about it going into it, the better. So, forgive me for being a bit vague in my review - I definitely don't want to give anything away for anyone and ruin their reading experience!

The pacing of this book is fast...it will have you flipping the pages as you try to figure out what is going on. There are a lot of factors at play here - anticipation of what you think might be going on, mistrust of just about everyone you meet, and the coming apart of our protagonist. It's exhausting - not only for her, but for you as you try to put the pieces together. You feel as if you are on a rollercoaster with all that is going on.

This book is so good - it's addictive and while you might put some of the pieces together, it's still worth the read. I loved it from start to finish and I cannot wait to see what comes next from B.A. Paris...she is definitely an author on my must-read list now!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment