Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Recommendation: The King of Bourbon Street (NOLA Nights #1) - Thea de Salle: Bisexuality, Rich People, and a Fat Heroine

In THE KING OF BOURBON STREET, heiress Rain travels to New Orleans to get a break from her mother and falls in love with hotel mogul Sol.

What intrigued me: I adored another book by the same author under a different pen name and was thirsty for more by her.

Note: Don't let the cover fool you, this has a fat heroine!!!

Fantastic Writing and Characters

THE KING OF BOURBON STREET is definitely very different from what I usually read - you may know that I'm primarily a YA reader, but I don't mind pushing my comfort zone a little. Even if you're not really into Adult books and just enjoy Romance, you will probably fall hopelessly in love with this. De Salle is such a talented writer, I originally only planned to take a peak at a sample, but the voice, the characters, the setting, the pace - everything about the craft is so perfect that it sucks you in and you won't want to leave. Genuinely, this book is so amazingly well-written that it's seriously inspiring and an absolute delight.

De Salle needed about 5 pages for me to fall in love with the hero, Sol, who is, in lack of a better way to put this: an absolutely irresistible little shit. He's refreshingly openly bisexual, hilarious, he's snarky and flamboyant, and I am so, so, so in love. I found myself laughing out loud at honestly pretty much everything he says. He's so funny without meaning to and you'll fall in love with him before you know it and miss him terribly once you've finished the book.

Perfect Read for Rookie Adult Romance Readers!

As irresistible as the hero is - the heroine, Rain, is just as awesome. She's rebelling against her rich parents and just sunshine bottled up. THE KING OF BOURBON STREET is one of the most organic and fantastic romances I've ever read. Rain and Sol have incredible chemistry from the second they meet and you'll find yourself not being able to decide who you like more. In general, the characters and their relationships are very fleshed out, so much so that I honestly want a spin-off for every single character that appears in this series (which it looks like we might be getting to at least some extent? Fingers crossed). Parting with this book and finishing it honestly felt to me like I lost a couple dear friends, you'll find yourself wanting to read as slowly as possible so you'll be able to spend as much time with the characters as possible. 

I feel like I should also mention that this is a very adult Romance that contains a dom/sub relationship and a lot of sex. That's not usually what I go for, but I loved Rain and Sol so much that I didn't mind that at all. Even if you don't necessarily read a lot of Adult Romance, this might serve as a transitional read to get you more into the genre. THE KING OF BOURBON STREET is definitely one of my favorite reads of the year and I cannot wait to get started on the sequels.


Rating:

★★★★★

 




Overall: Do I Recommend?

If you love Adult Romance and are looking for something sex-positive and intersectional, this is a must-read. This is extremely well-written, almost intimidatingly so, and with a bisexual hero and a fat heroine, I am so, so, so happy I stumbled upon this series. 

More of this, please.



Additional Info

Published: February 13th 2017
Pages: 304
Publisher: Pocket Star
Genre: Adult / Romance
ISBN: 9781501156076

Synopsis:
"Hotel chain mogul Sol DuMont is about to learn that some of life’s biggest surprises come in deceptively small packages—namely a petite heiress named Rain who’s hell-bent on upsetting her family’s expectations—in this first book in the all new series by Thea de Salle, set against the sultry backdrop of New Orleans.

Thirty-seven-year-old Sol DuMont is a divorcee and the owner of a mid-sized hotel chain in New Orleans. Since Hurricane Katrina, his father’s death, and the decision that he and his ex-wife Maddy are far better off friends than lovers, he’s lost interest in almost everything he held dear—parties, people, and pushing limits.

All his limits.

Then Arianna Barrington checks into his hotel.

Twenty-four-year-old Arianna “Rain” Barrington could have been society’s sweetheart. Her family is moneyed, connected press darlings, and make sweeping headlines from coast to coast for reasons both good and bad. But when her mother shoves her at Charles Harwood—the obnoxious, entitled heir of Harwood Corp—to cement a billion-dollar business merger, Rain does the only thing she can think of to escape: she creates a scandal so big Harwood doesn’t want her anymore before fleeing to New Orleans for much-needed rest and relaxation.

All she wants is jazz piano, beignets, and to sail the Mississippi. What she gets is Sol DuMont, a whirlwind affair, and a hands-on education in sex, power play, and pushing limits.

All her limits. "
(Source: Goodreads)

What's your favorite romance?



Connect with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment